Russell brings down curtain on United career as club confirm 15 exits
Club legend departs Tannadice for second time as another summer exodus begins.
Johnny Russell, Kristijan Trapanovski and Ashley Maynard-Brewer are among 15 players to leave Dundee United in another major summer exodus for the club.
Fan favourite Russell, 36, returned to Tannadice in March on a short-term deal. While supporters were delighted to welcome him back, a calf injury restricted him to just one start and seven substitute appearances during his brief return.
He signs off with 128 appearances and 45 goals for the club.
A successful Academy graduate, Russell played his first top-flight season for United at just 20 years old. After departing Tannadice for the first time in 2013, he enjoyed a career in the English Championship and in the United States, as well being capped 14 times for Scotland.
Trapanovski will also depart after 58 appearances over two seasons. The Macedonian had his season cut short over a knee injury which has required surgery. It was a frustrating end to what was an injury-plagued campaign for the winger, who managed just 18 appearances this season.
Goalkeeper Maynard-Brewer, who arrived from Charlton Athletic in February, similarly had his season disrupted by a dislocated shoulder. Currently recovering from surgery, United opted not to activate the two-year option on his deal.
One significant departure which was already known to fans was Craig Sibbald. The midfielder announced earlier this year that he had signed a pre-contract to return to boyhood club Falkirk in the summer.
Having joined United in 2022, he leaves after 112 appearances in Tangerine.
Ryan Strain, another player whose season was blighted by injury, revealed his departure on Monday.
Loanees Luca Stephenson and Amar Fatah both had their seasons cut short by injury and had already said their goodbyes to the club, however Max Watters, Krisztian Kereztes, Ivan Dolcek and ill-fated Issac Pappoe are also now due to depart.
Academy players Lewis O’Donnell, Lewis Haldane, Calvin Beattie and Harry Welsh have also been released.
A club spokesperson said: “Discussions remain ongoing with a number of players regarding their contractual situations, and the club will provide supporters with a further update in due course.”
As previously reported by the Dispatch, Ross Graham and Vicko Ševelj have had one-year contract extensions triggered.
The club remains in talks about longer-term deals with both players.
Back-up goalkeeper Dave Richards has been offered a new contract by United, however he is understood to be fielding interest from another club.



